Tuesday, July 28, 2015

So I bought a float tube...now what?

My float tube, flippers, and pump.
So I bought a float tube (a.k.a a belly boat) a few weeks ago and I was hoping to use it in a few farm ponds that I have attempted to fish in the past.  These ponds are surrounded by trees and are in pretty remote areas.  You have to hike through some corn and soybean fields to reach them and there is just no way for me to get my small two man boat where the ponds are located or through the timber that fortifies them.  I needed a way to hike to the water, get away from the shore, and throw some flies towards the shore and structure near the bank.  Now to most people, this entire plan seems a little…extreme.  I can understand how someone would think, “Is it worth all the trouble to fish a few farm ponds?”  The answer is an emphatic YES!

There are three ponds that I have attempted to fish from the edges which have met mixed results.  In one pond, I have hooked five bass in a morning that went five pounds each.  I also lost a six pounder there last spring.  In another pond, there are only two spots I can fish from and I consistently catch fish from those spots all the time but only on spinning tackle.  In pond number three, I only fished there twice.  I have had bites and even seen fish but cannot hook them because trees keep me from making good casts or making strong hook sets.  I was also told by the landowner (and whenever I hear someone say this, my heart skips a beat), “Oh yeah, I put fish in there years ago but nobody has fished it in years.”

Flippers and pump.
My curiosity and imagination had gotten the best of me so I devised a plan.  I had a little left over Christmas money and decided to invest it in a float tube, flippers, and a pump.  At the time, it seemed like the perfect plan at the time, and maybe it still is.  A float tube will allow me to get away from the banks in a stealthy way, not that I probably need to be stealthy because most of these fish have never seen a human or fishing lure in their lives.  A tube will also allow me to fish all the spots from the right angles and with a fly rod.  When the trees have me pinned down on all sides, the only casts I can usually make are with spinning gear and are to the middle of the pond…where the fish are not located.  Finally, I can pack the tube in a small suitcase and carry it long distances while still managing all the necessary fishing equipment.  Sounds like a good plan right?
Well, here is where my plan has hit a snag.  First of all, with all the rain we had this spring the ponds were incredibly high and the hikes to the ponds would have been like wading through a mud volleyball tournament.  On top of that, I have plenty of other obligations in my life and I go fishing when I can…not whenever I want.  Most of the times I wanted to go, it was either raining or was too muddy.  Then there is the biggest obstacle that lies ahead of me. 

I’m flat out scared of this thing.  Granted, most of the fear comes from the simple fact that I have never used a float tube before.  New things are scary and intimidating to me and add my fear of failure to the equation and you can realize why I have never put this thing on the water.  I’m also scared because nobody has ever shown me how to use one of these things.  None of my buddies own float tubes therefore I have never had someone take me out on the water and say, “Do this, but don’t do that.”  Yes, I know there are internet web pages devoted to this style of fishing, but I can’t carry my tablet to the edge of the water and have some YouTube video walk me through the process.  And the next thing might sound strange, but it’s a big hiccup for me and that is wearing waders out in the water.

I have no problems wading trout streams or wearing waders around the edges of farm ponds.  I do have a problem with what might happen if I fall off the boat and my waders fill with water.  I also have a problem with what might happen if I make a lousy cast (which I still do quite often), hook my boat, and I start to sink while wearing waders.  I know I would probably be fine but the initial fear is keeping me grounded.  My other thought is that I could just wear some swim trunks but then I see a couple of problems with that.  For one, my flippers are made to fit over large boots like the ones you find on waders so that would make getting around rather difficult.  The other problem is that I’m not really sure that I want to be in swimming in these farm ponds for a long period of time.  I can’t quite put my finger on exactly why, but I think I might have some unresolved childhood issues around farm ponds (most of them revolve around water snakes and what I have seen snapping turtles bite through).  On the bright side, I would stay cool that’s for sure.

My device of danger.  It looks about as intimidating as a litter of puppies from this angle.
So here I am, a guy with a float tube that is too scared to use it.  I feel stupid and childish for feeling the way I do, but I guess I am still working out how to get over the whole thing.  There have been many nights where I think, “Alright, this I the night that I get all geared up like I am going to fish out of the boat and go through a little dry run.”  That pun was totally intended and has been planned out for days.  You’re welcome.  But then I forget about the practice session, or start tying flies, or go fishing instead.

So that’s the end of the story for now.  There will be a conclusion to this story and it WILL end in me overcoming my fears and getting on the water.  I’m not sure if it will include a cameo appearance of a six pound bass, but hopefully I will catch something.

7 comments:

  1. I recommend having one of your fishing buddies act as lookout/ lifeguard...or witness should things get really bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great call and thanks for being a spotter last night when I took the tube out for the first time. I will mention you a better light than Mr. Huelesbusch in my post on Friday.

      Delete
  2. I recommend not being a wiener

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great advice buddy. Thanks. I think I will include you in my post on Friday with a witty retort.
      And just so everyone knows, we have been friends for years. I wouldn't be a jerk to someone I don't know...just my friends.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for explaining that to your 10s of fans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I have scheduled an appointment at the burn unit in anxious anticipation of witty retort.

    ReplyDelete