Thursday, September 7, 2017

Mike & Gabe- A Father & Son Story


So here's a pretty cool story.  I was fishing down at Bennett last year when I saw this kid fishing.  He looked like he was middle school age but what stood out was how this kid handled a fly rod.  This kid could cast really well!  As I was coming off the stream, I walked by and told the kid that he was pretty impressive and had some pretty impressive skill.  He seemed really appreciative and told me that he had been fishing for a few years.  We shot the breeze for a while and I told him to keep up the good work as I headed off.  Before I could get too far, his dad stopped me who wasn't very far away.  He told me that he was grateful for the compliment I gave his son!

He then proceeded to tell me about how they fish a lot together and enjoy their time outdoors.  He also told me that they take an annual father and son trip out west.  These are a couple of pictures from their trip out west this summer and I just had to pass them along.  This is such a cool tradition and family that I just couldn't keep it to myself.  The dad also sent me some inspiring words via email as well.

I am blessed to have a son who enjoys the outdoors as much as I do and maybe even more..  I would love to see it (the pictures and story) inspire more parents to take their kids on these types of journeys.    My son will be 12 in a couple of weeks and the time moves to fast. Kids are grown up before we know it.  Too many people spend their time trying to get ahead in life and miss the journey of it all, which is the real reward.   


No comments:

Post a Comment