Thursday, October 22, 2020

Yet Another Cat on the Fly


Night before last I took my fly fishing club to James A. Reed Conservation Area in Lee's Summit, Missouri.  This was only the second trip for the club and they are still learning all of the complexities that come along with fly fishing.  I have them fishing small jigs under indicators.  I figure this will get them a lot of bites and is the simplest method to get them started on.  While I was walking around giving casting advice and taking out knots, I decided to carry my six weight and make a few casts with a streamer.  

One spot in particular looked pretty fishy.  There was a pocket where the vegetation didn't grow with a tree hanging over the water.  It looked like the perfect place for a big old bass be hide out in.  I wasn't totally shocked when I saw something crush my fly, but I was pretty shocked to see a 2 pound channel cat instead of a bass.  Every fall might not end up like this for me, but I certainly have a new favorite time of year to chase channel cats with a fly rod!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment