Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Neutralizer

I was up at Rainbow Fly Shop the other day and Matt, the owner, showed me some new flies that just arrived and were about to hit the shelves.  They definitely caught my eye because I have never seen a fly constructed like this before.  While the color combinations make perfect sense, what got me thinking was the combination of buoyant foam and dumbbell eyes.  Matt said that the fly will float at first, sink slowly, and return near the surface when stripped if floating fly line is being used.

The fly is called the Neutralizer and I am excited to hit the water with them and see how they behave.  I wonder if there will be a difference in the action of the fly as it is fished more or if it will behave in a consistent manner.  I also wonder about how high it floats in the water and the sink rate that it has.  I'm not sure if it will be something that you fish it fast, slow, or can fish either way.  I'm concerned that if it is trying to do two things (float AND sink) then it might not do either very well.  However, maybe it will be incredibly versatile and able to accomplish two actions at once.   I will let you know what happens after I hit the water and make a few casts with this hybrid.  Come to think of it, I wonder what the hybrids are doing this time of year and if I could get them to hit one of these bad boys.






No comments:

Post a Comment