Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Lawson City Lake


I really like fishing in small lakes.  Specifically, I like small lakes that are 100 acres or less.  Typically, here in Missouri, lakes of this size allow boats on them but are limited to only allowing the use of electric motors or outboards that operate without creating a wake.  I like these lakes and restrictions because I like the fact that I don't have to worry about people skiing, large boats creating wakes, or dealing with heavy boat traffic.  I thought that I knew about every small lake in the Kansas City area until I heard about Lawson City Lake in Lawson, Missouri.  

After learning about this lake, I instantly wanted to visit it.  I was curious about the species and size of fish that call this lake home.  What also piqued my curiosity was that I found out that walleye are stocked in this lake on an annual basis.  I had never caught a walleye on a fly rod before and while chasing them with a fly in a lake during the peak of summer is not optimal, it was still a possibility.  One day, my curiosity and optimism convinced me to hook my boat trailer up to my truck and head north.

When I arrived at the lake, I was thoroughly impressed by the amenities.  The parking lot looked new.  The boat ramp was paved and in pristine shape.  In addition, all I had to do was pull my truck forward to a parking space and then back it straight back to put the trailer back in the water.  It doesn't get much more convenient than that!  There were also some nice restrooms, a walking trail, and a life jacket loaner program.  There were even kayaks that you could rent by using an app on your phone!

By the time I hit the water, I was hoping that the fishery was going to be able to compete with the amazing setup that the city of Lawson had provided.  In short, it did not.  It was a slow morning.  I caught 2 largemouth on a streamer and a few bluegill on some jigs under indicators.  There were no walleye sightings although I do think I found some with my electronics.  I know this sounds cliche, but it was a beautiful morning regardless and I loved being on this body of water.

I believe that it is important to note that maybe it was ME that was off and not the fish.  Maybe the fish were moody on this particular outing.  Maybe I was throwing the wrong flies.  Maybe I fished spots that didn't hold fish.  More data is needed and you better believe that I will be going back to see if the fishing is different than on the one morning I fished the lake.  Stay tuned for more on this pretty piece of water.




No comments:

Post a Comment