Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Roaring River State Park

Last week I was fortunate enough to go down to Roaring River State Park with my parents and two sons.  I first started going here with my dad, then my mom and dad went, then my folks and first son, and finally the youngest got in on the fun.  If you've never been to Roaring River, it is a truly beautiful place with LOTS of fish.  My dad and I caught plenty of fish to keep our interest and excitement each day we were there.  Roaring River is also incredibly family friendly.  There are playgrounds, a pool, a nature center, and plenty of activities to keep younger and older kids occupied if they aren't interested in fishing.  I've included a few pictures from our trip and tried to narrow it down to the best of the best.  I'm doing my best to not bore you like your old aunt might have done after returning from a trip to Mt. Rushmore or wherever she might have gone.

The Mouth of the Spring
This is a pretty cool (literally) place.  The mouth of the spring originates from a small cave that you can wander back into and actually hike over should you feel so inclined.





The Hatchery- Feeding the Brood Stock 
Oh my gosh is this fun.  Seeing the big boys (and girls) is pretty awe inspiring, but seeing them feed is just plain amazing.  The beauty, speed, and quickness that these browns and rainbows possess is incredible.















The Hatchery- Feeding the Stockers
While feeding the brood stock is fun, the stockers are just comical.  They literally swim over themselves to get to the little food pellets you throw in and their youthful exuberance is relatable if you are if young children.  Also, here's a little trick.  Take along a few plastic cups to put put the fish food you purchase in.  This keeps you from having to keep the pellets and bumbling around with the little spheres.  It's also easier for your kids to handle...or old parents.





The Hatchery- Stockers Jumping Upstream 
While I have been to the Roaring River hatchery before, as well as other hatcheries, this was the first time or place that I have witnessed trout trying to jump waterfalls upstream.  After being amazed by their tenacity and determination.  I have no idea why they were so determined to get up the small falls, but by golly they were not to be denied.  It also dawned on me that this might be the only place in Missouri you can see activity like this!  I don't recall other hatcheries in the state being set up like this, but it sure if fun to watch.




No comments:

Post a Comment