Monday, March 7, 2016

Fishing Report


I was able to hit the water a couple of times this weekend.  I cannot remember the last time that I enjoyed going fishing and getting skunked but that is exactly what happened this weekend.

I fished off a dam at a nearby lake Saturday night trying to see if the walleye had started moving in for the spawn and I can't definitively answer that question yet.  My casting was horrible (I blame it on the sink tip section which makes things awkward and clunky) and there was a lot of old/dead vegetation on the bank that made casting difficult and created a lot of snags.  I did see a few fish surface but have no idea what species they were.  I fished into the dark and it was DARK.  No moon in the sky and I couldn't see my hand in front of my face.  My casting stunk, I didn't catch squat, lost a few flies, and had a wonderful time.  It was just nice to be on the water after a long winter and to see actual fish doing fishy things.

Yesterday, I got to hit a farm pond with my six year old son and we got skunked again, but this time, it was our fault.  We missed three strikes and should have landed all three fish but I am going to attribute this to a combination of rust and fishing with a six year old that doesn't have a lot of patience yet.  Again, it was warm, the breeze wasn't cold, it seemed like spring, and we had some chances to hook some fish.  The fishing will get better and this weekend was all about getting acclimated to being on the water again and just enjoying the overall experience.  I hate to get skunked, but it didn't sting as bad this time.  However, if it happens again next weekend, I am pretty much done with fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment