Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Trout Net Modification


After 14 years of service, my poor old trout net finally bit the dust.  It has been slammed in truck doors, dropped on asphalt, used as a cooler, and been a carry-all for any thing that can possibly show up on a fishing trip (but mainly empty cans).  I was not surprised when the frame finally lost its structural integrity and the adhesive that holds the layers of wood finally stopped adhering.  There was only one way to replace this stream companion and that was by buying another cheap-as-heck wooden net that will be used and abused until it too falls apart.  It cost me $5 and will often be left in the truck and when needed, it will not be present.  I don't use nets very often, obviously, but it IS a stream necessity and really useful when you actually carry one.

If you frequent this site very often, you have probably read about some of my projects that I have written about.  In short, I am a tinkerer.  I like to build things from scratch or improve things I already have.  Just like its predecessor, this trout net received a simple but very useful upgrade.  In order to accurately measure fish and return them to the water as soon as possible, I have developed a way to measure fish quickly and return them to their home.  The pictures can tell the story.

Measure lengths from the inside front of the net and mark them with a marker.




Using a wood-burning tool, go over the lines.  Contrary to popular belief, permanent markers are not permanent.




Finally, you can mark every line, ever other line, or just one line in order to measure fish length.  It takes some time but it sure beats fumbling with a tape measurer and keeping a fish out of water for too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment