Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Beautiful Black Crappie



Recently, I was able to accompany a group of young fly fishermen on a trip to Lone Jack Lake near Lone Jack, Missouri.  This was the first trip of the spring for these kids and they were eager to use some of the flies that they had been learning to tie over the winter.  Things started off a little slow, but eventually we got into some beautiful black crappie near the handicapped fishing jetty and the dam.  The fish were really dark I assume because of the spawning season and clear water.  Regardless, they were hitting pretty hard and there were lots of them.  Most of the kids caught at least 5 fish with one young man catching 18 of the papermouths.  I don't get into a school of black crappie very often so I thought I would share a few pictures.  They are beautiful fish that I would take over white crappie any day!








No comments:

Post a Comment