Friday, October 30, 2020

Taking Two Young Men Deer Hunting

 About this time of year I tend to get away from my fly rod and fly tying vise and pick up a set of binoculars and a deer rifle.  With adult firearms season still a few weeks away, I still have some time to wait. However, in the state of Missouri, youth season is this weekend.  This is a time for adults to get young people into the woods and mentor them in the ways of hunting.  This is a great season that the Missouri Department of Conservation has established and a great way to pass on traditions and kills.

I have both the honor and privilege to take two young men on a youth season deer hunt tomorrow.  One is Collin, Wendy's son.  The other is Mason, my son.   Collin will be trying to fill a tag and Mason will be observing and trying to figure out if he is ready for his first hunt next year.  I am looking forward to spending some time in the woods, away from the daily stresses of life and from technology.  I think more than ever people (adults and kids) can benefit from the peace and quiet that only nature can provide.  I'll be back on Monday to provide an update on how the hunt goes.  Regardless of whether a tag gets filled, we will make some memories this weekend that hopefully last a lifetime for these young men.  Have a great weekend and get outdoors if you can.  The outdoors has a way of restoring the mind and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment