Thursday, May 16, 2024

Murdich Minnow and Conehead Madonna AKA Bunny Muddler


Link to Online Fly Shop: theshowmeflyguy.etsy.com

I love streamers! I love to tie them, I love to fish them, and I love it when a fish hits a streamer like a freight train. It’s even better if you get to see the take, but that’s not always something that happens. Regardless, I love chucking my 8 weight as far as I can and hooking up with a fish at some point during the retrieve. 

Over the course of the winter, I learned to tie a couple of new patterns.  The first one, which is pictured above, is a Murdich Minnow.  I have fished this fly for smallmouth bass before and it landed me a few.  I gave it a little more bulk in order to chase largemouth bass with it and I like how it turned out.  It barely sinks in the water which makes it versatile.  I can fish it with a floating fly line and fish it just below the surface with with a sinking like if I want to get down in the water column.  You can see that it is designed to have a shad color and profile but what you don't see is the rattle that is in the fly.  It makes a lot of noise and should attract some predators from a long distance.  I fished this fly in a farm pond earlier this spring and a 14 inch largemouth bass came from over 15 feet away to smash it!  On top of that, it was a visual eat and that bass never slowed down or hesitated.  

The second fly is a Conehead Madonna/Bunny Muddler.  This is a fly that has worked well for me in the past but for some reason, I just quit throwing it.  I'm not sure why but it's an effective pattern.  The rabbit strip gives it a good swimming action and the rubber legs give it some additional action.  The deer hair gives it some bulk without weight.  It also helps provide a good, tapered profile.  The lead wire behind the conehead and the conehead itself give the fly enough weight to get down if you're throwing floating fly line but it's light enough to fish on a sinking line as well.

Link to Online Fly Shop: theshowmeflyguy.etsy.com





 

No comments:

Post a Comment