Thursday, May 2, 2024

Unhackled Buggers and Steel Bunnies


Within the last year, I have been experimenting with a couple of flies.  The first is a very simple but really effective fly.  Essentially, it is a wooly bugger without palmered hackle.  If you aren't familiar with fly tying, it's just a wooly bugger that is missing a feather.  I started fishing this fly to save money (hackle is a little pricey) and because it's easier/quicker to tie.  What I have found is that when compared to its counterpart, it isn't any less effective.  I tend to fish two of these at the same time with 12-18 inches of line between them.  I simply tie some fluorocarbon from the bend of the lead fly using an improved clinch knot to the eye of the second fly, again, with an improved clinch knot.  Even though I am not the most proficient caster in the world, I still don't end up with very many tangles.  This setup catches a lot of small largemouth, bluegill, and even crappie.  On three occasions last summer, I actually managed catching two fish at once!

The second fly that I have been playing around with is called a Steel Bunny.  This is a fly that incorporates a fish skull from Flymen Fishing Company as well as some Hareline laser dub, marabou, and a rabbit strip.  The fish skull is probably the most prominent part of this fly and makes this fly sink like a rock!  It is great to use with floating line or if you want to fish really deep with a sinking or sink tip line.  The profile and wiggle of the fly is great to fish for postspawn bass.  I haven't spent a lot of time on the water with it but it has proved to be a successful fly so far.  It still needs more time on the water to prove itself but the early impression is positive.  Both flies are for sale in my Etsy store and I am including aYouTube video if you're interested in tying your own Steel Bunny.

Online Fly Shop

















No comments:

Post a Comment