Monday, August 26, 2024

Weekend Fishing Report: Nothing Big


The skies were clear, the wind was picking up, and I got on the water a little later than I should have.  Now I'm not going to state that these are the reasons that I didn't catch many fish or anything big, but may the aforementioned factors played a role.  On the other hand, the wind was out of the south (which I think is usually a good thing) and the water temperature was about 75 degrees.  Those factors tend to indicate better fishing conditions.  Regardless of the conflicting conditions, it was a slow morning yesterday.

Please don't take that as some sort of complaint.  As I was having a slow morning, something dawned on me.  When I have mornings that are slow in terms of both numbers and size, I seem to appreciate each catch a little bit more.  My mindset isn't wrapped up in measurements or total number caught.  I found myself appreciating the beauty of each fish a little more.  I admired the coloration and uniqueness of each species.  I appreciated each hookup a little bit more because they were so few and far between.  If I would have caught 40 fish yesterday morning, I would struggle to describe each catch.  Since I caught so few yesterday, I can describe each hookset, fight, and release in a lot more detail.  

So if you every find yourself having a slow day, try to appreciate the little victories and the beauty where you can find it.  Sure, we all want to catch big fish and lots of them.  In reality, days like these are few and far between.  The slow days of small fish will help you appreciate the good days more but should also be appreciated for what they are as well.  If you have the chance to get outdoors and cast a fly, it's a good day.  You weren't in the hospital, you weren't 6 feet under, and things could have been worse...unless you sink a boat.  I can't help you find a silver lining if that happens.  That just stinks and life would have been better if you had stayed home.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment