Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Book Review- Fishful Thinking


With all of this bad weather that we have been having, I've actually had time to do a little reading.  I was given Fishful Thinking: Letter from the Lazy G by Dave Gillogly by the father of one of my students.  It just so happens that Mr. Gillogly is the grandfather of said student and father-in-law of the thoughtful gentleman that gifted me the book.  To my knowledge, this is the only book that Mr. Gillogly has written, but hopefully it isn't the last.  He has an easy-to-follow and light-hearted method of writing that shows he understands the subject and appreciates it at the same time.  In other words, he doesn't come off as a university professor.  He seems to be more of a guy that has spent a lot of time on the water and loves it without bravado or braggadocio.  He also includes plenty of detail and extremely descriptive accounts about his journeys that includes times of the day as well as fly size and pattern selection.  At the same time however, he writes his stories so they can be enjoyed for fun and not taken as some sort of benediction from the book of fly fishing.  He's no Walton or McGuane, but that's why I like him.  His self deprecating humor about not being a very good writer also makes him endearing.  

I've made it through the first few chapters and his stories about getting introduced to fly fishing are VERY relatable.  He's also got a heck of a story about an elk, a bear, and some wolves.  I'm only on page 34 (I'm a REALLY slow reader), but I will be posting about the book again in the future.  I will also be giving a full review at the end but so far, I would give it 5 out of 5 bamboo fly rods.  There is a link below that you can click on and purchase the book through Amazon if you are in the market for a new fly fishing book.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Fishful-Thinking-Letters-Lazy-G/dp/0692838503/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549994421&sr=8-1&keywords=fishful+thinking

No comments:

Post a Comment