Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Flashy Bunny Strip- Part 1

Sometimes in life, it doesn't matter what you know but who you know.  With that in mind, it is a good thing that I know Matt, the owner of Rainbow Fly Shop in Independence, Missouri.  I was in his store the other day and he knows my affinity for all things rabbit strip related.  He tossed me a sample pack of the new Bling Rabbit Strips from Hareline and said "You wanna blog about that?"  

Obviously, the first thing that caught my eye was the strip of reflective material that is at the bottom of the rabbit strip.  Now anyone that knows me is well aware that I like to fish rabbit strip zonkers, so while this product might only have one application (the tail of a fly), it seems like a pretty interesting application.  In other words, it's a one trick pony but that trick is pretty good.  The second thing I noticed is that the strip is pretty rigid.  It doesn't have the flexibility of a normal rabbit strip and that could be a good thing or a bad thing.  The positive is that with this stiffness might keep the strip from fouling around the bend of the hook.  The negative is that it might take away from the action/motion of the strip.  The streamers that I tie that have rabbit strip tails have a very natural, side-to-side motion in the water and that's exactly why I use them.  If this strip adds flash but has no action, I'm not sure if it is worth the sacrifice.  

I plan on tying up a few of these really soon, and testing them out over the next couple of weeks.  I'll let you know how they work...for the better or worse!








No comments:

Post a Comment