Thursday, July 23, 2020

Hire a Guide on New Water!

A beautiful stretch of water in Yellowstone that I didn't catch fish on.

I got skunked the other day.  I hate getting skunked.  I mean, I really, really hate getting skunked.  I have nobody to blame but me and I should have done better.  Looking back, I should have taken my own advice and hired a guide.

I was recently  in Yellowstone National Park and I had the pleasure of fishing there for the first time in my life.  The wildlife was amazing and the scenery was the most beautiful I have ever seen  and that's not an exaggeration.  It was exactly what they say it is; spectacular in so many ways.  I did a little research on the fishing prior to coming out here and talked to some local fly shops but none of that kept me from throwing up a goose egg.  I have a few reasons why you should hire a guide when fishing new water.

1. Yes, guides are expensive but that is because they are worth it!  You are paying for knowledge, expertise, and guidance...all of which you do not have and really need on new water!

2. Your money supports a small business that is privately owned.  In other words, you're not giving your money to some corporation that is only going to make the rich richer.  Your money goes to a person that is living their dream and trying to make it a career as well.  How can you not appreciate that!

3. Finally, leave your ego on the banks of a new river or lake.  Yes, you probably are a good angler and you do great on your home waters.  You read books, watch videos, and are very knowledgeable about your craft.  But remember this, you don't really know squat about this new water and guides do.  You don't know where the fish are, what they are eating on this particular day, or what the recent weather has done to fishing conditions.  I made this mistake the other rday.  I thought I would be able to "figure it out".  I didn't.  But rather than figuring it out, I should have enlisted the services of a guide that already has it figured out!

No comments:

Post a Comment