Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Whopper Plopper Review

Fishing trends come and go.  It doesn't matter if you are talking about bass or trout fishing either.  Mega worms, squirmy worms, Alabama rigs, and Ned rigs have all enjoyed some recent popularity.  This year's trend has to be the Whopper Plopper and while I prefer to fly fish most of the time, I do reach for my spinning rod from time to time.  If you recall, I caught this largemouth and this hybrid striped bass on a Whopper Plopper a few weeks ago.




A few weeks ago my girlfriend decided she needed a Whopper Plopper from Bass Pro.  I was not about to let her buy one and run the risk of her outfishing me with one of these things so I bought one too.  They are kind of pricey and you can find them between $12-$16.  What I didn't realize at the time of the purchase was how versatile these things are.  You can fish them like a buzz bait, like a chugger/popper, and you might even be able to walk the dog with these things.  I actually just thought of that option when I was typing that last sentence.  Be forewarned however, these might be the sharpest hooks I have ever touched.  I know this because I sliced my hand open a couple of times while unhooking some bass recently.

Yesterday I posted about my new favorite wooly bugger pattern and how I caught some bass on a farm pond Sunday night.  However, I intentionally left out how I fished a Whopper Plopper prior to picking up a fly rod.  I was hoping that some "dumb" farm pond bass wouldn't be able to resist this trendy new lure.  The results were not what I expected.  While I ended up landing 2-3 fish (see pictures below), I bet I missed 6-7.  I am still a little perplexed on how I missed fish on this thing.  There are two treble hooks that are razor sharp and the fish hit it with ferocity that is similar to Shark Week.  We are talking full breaches.  Did I set the hook too fast?  Did I set the hook too slow?  Did the fish just hit it out of anger or territoriality?   I'm not sure what happened, but I'm not about to give up on this thing.  With that being said, I never was a very trendy person in the first place.




No comments:

Post a Comment