Tuesday, October 1, 2024

I Didn't NEED a New Hobby...but Here We Are!

I didn't need a 3D printer, but I have wanted one for a couple of years now.  After pitching the idea to my youngest son and getting him on board with the idea, I decided to pull the trigger on one.  I chose to buy a used one off Facebook Marketplace because, on average, the 3D printers that I found were half the cost of a brand new one and already assembled.  This seemed like a win-win situation to me.  I picked up my printer on Sunday and was printing things as of yesterday morning.  However, that is making a long story short.

I didn't realize the learning curve that I would experience with this toy/tool.  There was a lot to learn and I didn't know where to start.  Since I bought the printer used, I didn't get the user manual, tools, or experience of assembling the machine.  I wasn't sure what software to use, how to use the software that I chose, or how to use the settings on the printer.  I learned a few things on Sunday on my own but also experienced a lot of frustration, a feeling of being overwhelmed, and some buyer's remorse.  

While reading online discussion boards, watching YouTube videos, and texting some folks that own 3D printers helped, I needed a teacher.  I needed a person to look at what I had, show me how it worked, and identify flaws that my printer had.  Luckily for me, the guy that teaches industrial technology at the school that work at has a lot of 3D printing experience and an extremely helpful demeanor.  He was able to show me things, correct errors that were present in the machine, and help me understand my misconceptions.  

This process reminded me of a couple of things.  For starters, I learned that learning something new can be really difficult and sometimes frustrating.  As a teacher, it seems like I should know this, but this endeavor was a reminder of the process.  It seems like the older we get, the less we take on new and difficult tasks.  When we do, it reminds us that learning something, especially something complex, is a challenge.  Second, there is no replacement for a good teacher.  Sure, I could have watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch of content online, but having an experienced, patient, and enthusiastic person to help me move past my confusion.

Now you might be wondering, what does this post have to do with fly fishing?  You would be justified in your thinking but here comes the purpose of this post.  I am hopeful that I will be able to 3D print some fly fishing tools and equipment in the coming weeks.  I've already printed a knot tying tool and fly line collector that can be attached to a belt.  I'll keep everyone posted about what I am making and will be sure to give field testing reviews as well.  I'm excited to see what I can make and I hope that you find this new endeavor to be interesting as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment