Monday, December 21, 2015

Kansas City Urban Trout Fishing Report


A few weeks back I posted about the Urban Trout Stocking Program that the Missouri Department of Conservation is responsible for every year around the state.  I was lucky enough to do a little fishing recently and thought I might share my experiences in an effort to help you have some success and avoid a few mistakes that I made.

On this particular day last week, I got to fish at Plover Lake and James A. Reed in Lee's Summit, Missouri, Lake Chaumiere in Kansas City, Missouri, and Fountain Bluff Sports Complex in Liberty, Missouri.  I started off around sunrise at Plover Lake.  I started off throwing a small jig under a float and a Super Duper on a spinning rod around the handicap access point near the parking lot and along the dam.  I worked my way along the north shore all the way around to the culvert in the northeast corner.  Over the years, this is where I have had the most luck.  I pick up the occasional fish off the dam and around the handicap access but the vast majority of the fish I catch come around that culvert.  You can't see it unless you are standing on top of it and you know you are getting close if you can see a small slough behind you.  I landed two trout around there and both came on a john deere under a float.  I saw some fish as well around the largest point on the southwest shore but couldn't hook them.


With the hopes that the fishing might be better elsewhere, I headed off to Lake Chaumiere around 10:00.  I should have stayed at Plover.  I didn't catch a single trout at Chaumiere but I did manage to land two hybrid bluegill and a bluegill that all pushed 4-5 inches.  I did get to watch two guys catch three trout between them after chumming an area with a can of corn.  I also watch a Russian guy catch a 1-2 pound channel cat.  I can honestly say, I have never seen anyone catch a channel cat in a small body of water like that...in December.  Thanks global warming!  You're the best!


Since I there weren't any prospects and I had a hall pass from my wife to fish until dark, I headed up to Fountain Bluff in a last ditch effort to put a few more fish on the board.  I can honestly say that this was some of the most fun I have ever had without landing a single fish.  When I arrived, I saw that the water looked like glass and fish were rising fairly consistently.  I couldn't tell what they were feeding on so I put on a Griffith's gnat and tried to cast to where they seemed to be rising the most.  I hooked one fish after about 15 casts and missed another about 10 casts later.  I thought I was really onto something but that quickly fizzled.  I didn't get another sniff on the gnat so I switched to a crackleback.  I like these flies because I can easily see them, but the fish did not share my appreciation.  I cast to a lot of fish until the sun went down and never got another bite.  I don't know if they had been pressured, if they could see me, if I had to heavy of tippet, a fly that was too large, or if my casting sucked.  Regardless, I would have liked to land a few more but it was nice to spend some time on the water and be outdoors.


With that being said, on the drive home, I could not help but think about what I could have done different that might have put some more or bigger fish on the board.  I thought I would include those thoughts at this point for you to mull over in case you decide to give these transplanted and persnickety little fellas a shot.  Good luck and I hope these overthought ramblings help your efforts and help me by getting it off my chest. 

1. I wish I would have maybe thrown some crayfish imitations.  Maybe fish were sitting lazily on the bottom and wanted something large and slow as a meal.
2. I wish I would have fished a streamer deeper in the water column.  I spent most of the day fishing the upper third of the water and should have given some different depths a chance.
3. I should have tried some nymphs a shot.  I stuck to jigs under a float and two dry flies too much because they have worked in the past.
4. I wish I would have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at these dudes.  I have a bad habit of not straying too far from what has worked in the past and I wish I would have been more versatile.

2 comments:

  1. Great article. I'm a northland angler (fly and spin) and always looking for places besides Smithville all the time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timothy, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you. Thanks for the kind words and I am former northlander myself. Shoot me an email sometime and we can discuss more spots and maybe we can meet up to Chaumiere when they stock it this fall!

    ReplyDelete