Monday, January 4, 2016

What makes you a fly fisherman?

I recently purchased a copy of A River Runs Through It by Norman McLean. After buying it, the passing thought of "well I guess I am really a fly fisherman" passed through my head. It seems like some guys that consider themselves"real" fly fishermen not only have a copy of the famous story but some go as far to brag about the fact it is hardback or even a first edition. I will be honest here, my copy cost 12 bucks, is paperback, and has other Norman McLean stories in it as well. Does that make me less of a fly fisherman? Heck no it doesn't but there are some that might argue otherwise. It seems that fly fishermen sometimes base their "status" on where we fish, what we fish for, or even the gear we carry. Does my eagle claw fiberglass rod make me a lower rank when I stand next to a guy with a 700 dollar Orvis set-up, or do my neoprene camouflaged waders make me a novice when standing next to a guy in some Simms guide series breathable waders? Maybe it is a societal thing or maybe we, as fly fishermen, are confirming the stereotype that our sport is uppity and that it a sport for those of nobility. I don't know the answer, but it does tick me off to think about sometimes. What we  your thoughts? Does fly fishing come off as elitist or am I way off here?

***Warning- this video should probably be rated PG-13.  There isn't any really bad swearing, just a couple of slang terms that could be deemed inappropriate.  Viewer discretion advised.



I started this blog to dispelling the very myth that I believe exists, so I guess the question that begs to be answered is, what makes someone a fly fisherman? Do you have to own several fly rods? Do you have to fly fish 50 days out of the year? Do you have to tie your own flies?  If you have seen or read A River Runs Through It, does that make you a legitimate fly fisherman? Do you catch and release 90 percent of the time? I honestly don't know. To me, a fly fisherman has a rod, a reel, a fly box, an appreciation for the environment, and likes to catch fish. That's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment