Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Small Lake Profile #2- Lake Remembrance

Name- Lake Remeberance
The next small lake I chose to profile is what I sometimes call my "home lake".  If you have ever driven by Blue Springs, Missouri, on Interstate 70 then you have probably noticed the lake on the north side of the road.  It has a drain that has a large aluminum cage surrounding it on the south side which makes it distinguishable.
Links:
http://fishing.mdc.mo.gov/reports/lake-remembrance
http://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/blue-springs-lake-remembrance
http://mdc7.mdc.mo.gov/Applications/MOATLAS/AreaSummaryPage.aspx?txtAreaID=200616
Location
You can reach Lake Remembrance by taking the outer road on the north side of I-70 between the Adam's Dairy Parkway and the Grain Valley exit.  There is a walking trail that goes ALMOST all the way around the lake (which seems odd), a fairly large parking lot on the south side of the lake, and a boat ramp.  Now about that boat ramp; boaters aware.  There are a few large, metal pillars at the top of the ramp so don't plan on bringing your 12 foot aluminum john boat and backing it down the ramp.  There is a set of rules posted near the ramp but essentially it says the following: electric motors only, kayaks and canoes welcome, and if you can get your boat in the water even with the pillars blocking your way...then have fun.  Kind of strange rules but about 5 years ago, boats weren't even allowed on the lake so this is at least a compromise. 

Species to target

The name of the game here is bluegill.  They are abundant to say the least and come in a variety of sizes.  Over father's day weekend I got into some nice schools of big males but also caught a lot of small dinks as well.  You can also pick up the occasional redear but they are a rare treat.  I have yet to catch what I would call a "big" redear but I bet they are around.


While I have yet to get into a large amount of crappie, there is some standing timber on the south side of the lake that looks like crappie heaven.  Good luck if you're into crappie fishing.


Now there are bass in the lake and I have heard that there are some big ones here, but I have yet to hook one.  The bass fishing was a lot easier about 4 years ago before the aquatic vegetation started to take over all of the shoreline.  The Department of Conservation has sprayed for this vegetation in the past but it looks like their efforts were in vain and possibly discontinued.  I used to catch some 14-15 inch bass on soft plastics along the western shore in the submerged timber and laydowns.  I have fished the same area that is now covered in weeds with very little success.  If you go after the bass on this lake and have some success, please let me know because I would love to pass along some better information.

Spots to try

Weed edges are about your only option seeing as how it encompasses most of the lake.  You can pick up a lot of bluegill this way and will catch fish all day by targeting the vegetation.

Flies/Lures to use

John Deere mini jigs under a float work great and wooly buggers in olive, white, black and a mixture of those work good too.  I would guess that some small poppers worked around the edges would be productive as well.  That's it.  Pretty simple.  They're bluegill after all, not candidates for admission to Harvard.

1 comment:

  1. Lake Remembrance, Blue Springs MO
    I've been fishing here for 4 years. This year is by far showing biggest bass I've seen in the state . Since April I myself have caught and released 7 fish over 5lbs, 1 at 6.7lbs and 1 at 8.4.

    ReplyDelete