Thursday, September 15, 2016

Do Weather Conditions Affect Farm Ponds?

It is with the utmost sincerity that I hope that you have access to fish at least one good farm pond here in Missouri.  That is not a joke.  I really do!  They offer amazing fishing opportunities and chances to catch lots of fish, big fish, and sometimes, lots of big fish.  Some farm ponds are home to nothing but small bluegill, others hold stunted bass, and some are so overgrown with moss or vegetation that fishing is futile at best.  However, some farm ponds hold a large amount of fish over two pounds and some ponds have the occasional genetic freak that can go six pounds or bigger.  Those are the ones you want to find and consequently befriend the owner.

I consider myself a lucky guy when it comes to farm pond access.  I partially grew up on my grandparents' farm in northwest Missouri and as a result have gained access to some great ponds to fish.  Don't get me wrong, I just got lucky.  I'm still riding the good name of my grandma and grandpa and just as when I was little, their generosity continues to bless me.

This brings me to last Sunday.  I headed up to the family farm to check some trail cameras and maybe have enough time to fish a little.  I admit that I wasn't very excited to hit the water.  I didn't have a lot of time on my hands so I didn't even bring a boat.  This only diminished my hopes for catching anything other than moss and grass.  However, the icing on the cake was the weather conditions.  A cold front moved through on Saturday and post front conditions don't exactly get me wound up.  Also, I just happened to be hitting the water right around midday.  Strike 2.  And finally, the only lure I felt confident in throwing from the bannk was a fire tiger spinnerbait.  That's it, I was out!  No chance in catching anything post front with a fast moving lure in the middle of the day.  From this point you can surmise that you have been set up and yes, I caught about a dozen bass with half of them going 2 pounds or larger.  Here's some pictures:






The last bass took the kilt of my spinnerbait.  I say kilt because I don't even let my lures wear skirts!
Finally, on the way home I started to wonder about why things worked out the way they did.  It felt like the deck was stacked against me in terms of time of day and weather conditions.  What I kept coming back to was whether or not all of the typical beliefs about fish behavior on bigger lakes apply to farm ponds.  Maybe farm ponds recover faster from cold fronts or maybe the water temperature dropped enough to get the fish worked up.  Maybe enough time had passed since the front that the fish rebounded and responded accordingly.  The truth is that I don't know but I am curious to see what you think.  Feel free to comment below and share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment