Friday, September 9, 2016

Laboring on Lake Taneycomo


Last weekend my wife and I headed down to Springfield, Missouri, to visit some friends of ours.  I say "ours" because the husband and wife we were going to visit have been friends of my wife's since college and friends of mine since I met my wife.  Needless to say, I am a little bit of a fourth wheel if there is such a thing.  You can only imagine my excitement when on Saturday morning my wife and her friends were all but pushing "poor Mr. Fourth Wheel" out the door to head down to Branson and Lake Taneycomo to do some fishing.  "Okay guys.  We'll do everything YOU want to do!" was my response as I walked out the door.


After picking up some Combos (pepperoni pizza of course) and a fountain drink at the local Casey's, I was southbound and down with a mile-wide smile on my face.  It didn't even matter that I was going to be fishing during the slowest part of the day on top of the fact that two generators were running.  None of that mattered because I was in southern Missouri and I was going trout fishing.  It's hard to argue against that scenario regardless of conditions.


Things were a little slow but that is to be expected.  I hooked 6 fish and landed four.  I missed one brown that I was sight fishing and lost a rainbow about 20 feet from the net.  I did however land a 14 inch rainbow and another rainbow that pushed 17 inches.  There were plenty of fish to be seen in the shallows and near the outlets, but they didn't seem interesting in what I was throwing (or what anyone else was throwing) but that was alright.  I caught some trout on a fly rod at my favorite fishing spot in the world and it was a beautiful day.  I even got to brag a little bit to my wife's friends which I am sure they appreciated on a deeper level than I can imagine.


No comments:

Post a Comment