Thursday, July 6, 2017

It's Time for the 2017 Norman J. Herndon Crappie Classic



About a year ago, I wrote about attending the 2016  Norman J. Herndon Crappie Classic on Truman Lake.  Well, it is that time of year again and the 2017 Crappie Tournament is upon us.  It will be held on Saturday, July 29, 2017 at Sterrett Creek Marina on Truman Lake.  The address is 18174 Marina Road in Warsaw, Missouri. and hotel rooms are available at Sterrett Creek Hotel.  Online registration is available as well and t-shirts are included if you register and pay your entry fee by July 23, 2017.  First place will be awarded $300, second place will receive $200, and third place will earn $100.  There is also a fish fry and raffle that will give away a Yeti cooler, quilt, and Bass Pro as well as Rogers Sporting Goods.

Link to register for the 2017 Norman J. Herndon Crappie Classic: http://njhfund.com/2017-norman-herndon/


While I could go on about the details of the tournament, I would be remiss if I failed to mention how noble of a cause this event is and how it is near and dear to my heart.  Norman Herndon was an amazing man that had his roots in public education as well as fishing.  He moved to the Warsaw area upon his retirement from the Kearney School District where much of his family still call home and attend school.  My dad is close friends with one of Noaman's sons and I even graduated from high school with one of his grandsons.  After Norman Herdon's passing, a scholarship fund was established in his name which benefits high school seniors in the Kearney School District.  Of course I am partial to this tournament because I was born a Kearney Bulldog, attended school as a Bulldog, and will always be a Bulldog at heart because my hometown is responsible for making me who I am today.  With that in mind, I can honestly and whole-hardheartedly state that this is a worthy cause, named after an amazing man, that benefits real Missouri youth that have significant goals and worthy aspirations.  If you can donate to this cause, attend the tournament, or just show up for support, I really think you will be glad you did and will make a positive impact on other Missourians!

A big crappie caught at last year's tournament.
A better view of a 1 pound plus crappie from last year.

The winner of last year's tournament weighted six fish in at over six pounds.  That is over a one pound average  per fish!

1 comment:

  1. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Fish Replicas

    ReplyDelete