Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Late Christmas Article From Project Healing Waters

I am so sorry for not getting this article from Jim Kissane (from Project Healing Waters) published in a timely manner.  While it got lost in the shuffle and confusion of the holidays, I didn't want his hard work to go unpublished.  Plus, the Christmas spirit is supposed to be embodied all year right?  Again, my apologies to Jim and everyone at the Kansas City Chapter of Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing.  


Those of us who fly fish through the Winter realize that there are limits to our craziness, and those limits are not necessarily imposed by weather. I have been known to go on fishing trips in sub-zero temperatures and ice storms – not the soundest decisions I’ve ever made, but in my defense the inclement weather moved in after my arrival at the water’s edge. Yet even people who understand that reasoning realize you have to draw the line somewhere.

Christmas, for example, is a good time not to go fishing. For the same reason fishing on your wife’s birthday, your wedding anniversary, or Valentine’s Day are good days to keep the fishing gear stowed, if for no other reason than to keep said fishing gear from finding its way onto Craigslist while you’re away.

But all is not lost. Santa – a fly fisher himself, I can assure you – understands such commitments, and honoring them will go a long way toward landing a spot on his “Nice” list. Want abundant dry fly hatches, plenty of casting room and a stream full of trout? The “Nice” list is where you want to be. Otherwise, it’s the “Naughty” list and a season full of knot failures, headwinds and tiny trout. Besides, it’s time to go through your fly fishing equipment and put together your Christmas list.

The participants and volunteers at Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing took a break from their holiday preparations to share what they’re asking from Santa this year. Here’s what members of the Greater Kansas City Program have on their Christmas lists:
  • Program Lead Bob Barnett: “To be able to introduce our program to more people, to help more people.”
  • Pat Saviano: “More success at Bennett Springs, where I usually fail miserably.”
  • Dave Frank: “Spoiling my grandkids. I’ve got a new grandson.”
  • Outreach Coordinator Mike Davis: “Pen blanks so I can make some fly fishing pens.” (Mike is a woodworker, too).
  • Tim Powell: “Anything flyfishing in general. I’ve got the bug!”
  • Mikel Davis: “Woodworking and flyfishing. I just refinished my bathroom, so I need new projects.”
  • David Haynes: “I’d really like to get a good 5-weight fly reel – right now I have to borrow my wife’s. But just about anything flyfishing will do.”
  • Dan Kellogg: “One of those UV silicon lights for fly tying. That’s about the only thing I don’t have. Otherwise, I’ve got just about everything I need.”
  • New participant Denny Chestnut: “This is my first time here, so I’d like gift certificates to the fly shops.”
  • Dan Durgan: “To teach my grandson how to tie flies and fly fish. I don’t need any fly tying stuff – I can’t even see the top of my fly tying table.”
  • Greg Davison: “My son is a policeman, and I just want him to be safe. My daughter is a school teacher, and I want her to be safe, too. My wife and I have everything else we need.”
  • Ken Hicks: “Ken needs a new vise – my beginners vise is not too bad, but an upgrade would be nice. I think Ken also needs to start tying flies again.”
  • Volunteer Ron Carruthers: “Peace on Earth.
  • New volunteer Scott Rogers: “A fishing trip to Patagonia. It’s been on my bucket list for some time.”
  • New participant Steve Fuhr: “I’m new at this, so I need one of these fly tying kits!”
  • Volunteer Merril Miller: “Just getting together with family and friends. I don’t really need anything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment