Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Kind Words From a New Recruit

I recently asked my girlfriend, Wendy, to write up a small post about her thoughts on getting introduced to fly fishing.  I'm flattered by what she came up with and I can't tell you how good it feels to introduce a person to fly fishing.  More so, it feels even better to see a passion for fly fishing ignite in someone the way it did in me a few years ago.

I was first introduced to fly fishing by the Show-Me Fly Guy himself.  Obviously, fly fishing is his passion so I wanted to be involved with it as well.  Fly fishing was very intimidating to me because I grew up using only a push button or spinning rod.  It just seemed like there was so much technicality to it!  Plus, I didn’t want to look silly in front of my boyfriend!  When Tyler first tried to teach me how to throw a fly rod I failed…hard. I was frustrated that I couldn’t get the hang of it!  After basically giving up and thinking that fly fishing just wasn’t for me, I decided to give it one more try after seeing Tyler catch so many fish on a fly.  After many practice casts and Tyler teaching me the basics I went ahead and threw a fly out into a small pond and hooked my first fish, a tiny bluegill! Excitement rushed through me!  Since that day, I’ve been “hooked” on fly fishing and have a slight obsession with it.  Not only did Tyler get me hooked on fly fishing, my mother and step-dad have decided to take up the sport as well and they love it!  I never would have thought that fly fishing would be the thing that bonded us together, but it has. We all enjoy spending time together, as Tyler would say, “whackin’ ‘em and stackin’ ‘em”!












No comments:

Post a Comment