Thursday, September 20, 2018

Mousing for Bass

This last weekend I had a chance to hit a farm pond and throw some flies at some bass.  There wasn't a spit of wind, the temps were comfortable, and the water was surprisingly cool.  Wendy and I each caught bass on streamers early in the day.  The fish were in a feeding mode and extremely aggressive.  After seeing them hit streamers, I wondered if they would hit some mouse flies.  I figured that there had to be at least a few field mice that would wonder into the water from time to time and the calm water looked perfect for a little mouse fly to throw up a little wake on a retrieve.  What happened next was unlike anything I have ever experienced while fly fishing.

Bass weren't just hitting mouse flies, they were absolutely destroying them.  On a few occasions, they were breaching like great whites on seals like you see on Shark Week.  I bet we caught 20 bass on mouse flies and should have landed a few more to be honest.  I will be putting out a video tomorrow because aside from some good pictures, I got some amazing video footage of bass blowing up mice.  Also, I am going to be offering some of these mouse flies at the online store soon.  Currently, I only have a smaller mouse fly that I would work for trout, but I'm going to also offer a bigger one for bass as well.  I'll let you know when that happens but for now, here are some pictures today and video tomorrow!











No comments:

Post a Comment