Thursday, September 6, 2018

Missouri River

Last weekend, a former student of mine (Miles) and his grandpa invited me to run bank lines on the Missouri River.  I jumped at the chance and the result was nothing short of spectacular but that's not where this story really starts.

About a year ago, I was fortunate enough to accompany these gentlemen on the Missouri River near Kansas City, Missouri.  I was educated on how the river works, how to bait bank lines, and how to check bank lines.  On that particular trip, we boated two flatheads that went about 5 pounds each.  I had never caught a flathead before nor been on the Missouri River but relished the moment.  You can view the post about this trip here.  

Fast forward to present day.  My enthusiasm wasn't any less and I had a little experience under my belt.  It felt good to at least have an idea of how things would operate and my hopes for bigger fish were pretty high.  As you can see in the pictures, those expectations were exceeded greatly.  We ended up boating one flathead around 47 pounds and the other one topped 50 pounds.  The scale in the boat only went to 50 and the needle went past that mark.  It was an experience that I will never forget and I will never be able to express my gratitude and appreciation to Miles and his grandpa for sharing this memory with me.

However, the generosity of the Mighty Mo didn't stop there. 

Over the next two days, Miles and his grandpa boated another 40 pound flathead, a 72 pound blue cat, and a 96 pound blue catfish as well.  I'll be releasing a video from the experience tomorrow so please come back for that!  I'm going to stop typing at this point and let the pictures speak for themselves.  

















No comments:

Post a Comment