Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Quick and Simple Fly Box Assembly

If you're looking for a short and fun project this winter (especially since you might currently be off work right now), this might be a good one.  I bought this simple box at Michael's.  You can find these kinds of boxes in a lot of stores and they shouldn't run any more that five dollars.  You could even use a cigar box if you want but I like a box that is sanded, clean, and easier to customize.  Anyway, all I did for this box was cut some 5 mm foam to shape, glued it down, and used a razor to cut some slits to hold flies with tension.  This works better than tearing up the foam with hooks and keeps things a little more neat and orderly.  Next, I found an image online that I liked and then printed it off.  Using carbon paper (yes, they still make it and you can find it at Office Depot), I transferred the image to the wood.  Finally, I burned the image onto the wood with a wood burning tool and then gave it a coat of stain and polyurethane.  If you want to save some time, you can use a product called Polyshades by Minwax.  It contains both the stain and poly which will save you a step and some time.  Good luck if you take on this project and I would love to see some final products.  Feel free to send me some pictures at showmeflyguy@gmail.com.










No comments:

Post a Comment