Thursday, July 18, 2024

Project: I Replaced the Carpet on the Floor of My Boat


I don't know what got into me.  I'm usually a pretty calculated and measured person that thinks things through before I act.  While the carpet in my boat had been coming up for awhile, I didn't have immediate plans to replace it.  But when I started to investigate how easy it was going to be to pull up the carpet, I just couldn't stop.  Before you knew it, I had pulled all the carpet out and had thrown it in the trash.  I didn't have a choice but to get to work a little quicker than I was planning.

Thankfully, the previous owner of my boat had already installed a strong floor in the bottom of the boat.  From there, I simply purchased some carpet from Home Depot, cut it to the right dimensions, and started to prepare the surface for glue.  Once that was done, I installed the carpet and waited for the glue to cure.  While that was happening, I cut some pieces of straight and angled aluminum to act as brackets that would help the carpet stay in place.  After the glue cured, I installed the brackets with self-tapping metal screws and trimmed the excess carpet.

It was a pretty simple process and really didn't take that long.  I was anxious about trying to complete a project that I had never attempted before but advice from friends, internet research, and YouTube videos helped guide me through the process.  I will readily admit that this is a temporary fix and not what I want my boat to look like forever.  I have plans to extend the front deck, add some storage, and recess my trolling motor pedal.  I plan to tackle those projects this winter when the fishing season is over but for now, I'm pretty happy with how this project turned out!






 





No comments:

Post a Comment