Friday, August 5, 2016

The 2016 Norman J. Herndon Herndon Crappie Classic



I  had the honor and privilege last weekend to go down to Truman Lake with my dad and attend the Norman J. Herndon Crappie Classic.  My dad had wanted to attend this event with me for a couple of years now and we were finally able to make the trip even though we did not compete in the tournament.  The tournament benefits the Norman J. Herndon Scholarship that is annually given out to two recipients in the Kearrney School District.  I graduated from Kearney and my parents still live in town and are involved in the community.  Needless to say, my hometown means a lot to me and I have a special place in my heart for all things Kearney.

Norman Herndon, the great grandson of Norman J. Herndon holds up a crappie that would have made his namesake proud.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by Rick Herndon, son of Norman Herndon.  I hadn't seen Rick in years and felt a swelling of emotion after seeing my old baseball coach.  It wasn't long before I got the chance to see Rick's son Topher (the shortened version of Christoper) Herndon.  Topher and I played baseball and football together in middle school, we graduated together, and our dads are close friends.  Over the course of the day I was lucky enough to run in to many more old friends and Kearney-ites.  It was a fun day that included reminiscing about old times and hearing about changes that I missed out on in our time apart.

Scholarship information

Trophies and raffle information

During the tournament and after the weigh-in, I was educated about the life of Norman Herndon and a brief history of the tournament and scholarship.  Mr. Herndon was the superintendent of the Kearney School District for 17 years and was a lifelong educator.  Upon his retirement, he and his wife moved to Warsaw and he spent a lot of time fishing on Truman Lake.  He was involved in many community service efforts and freely gave of his time and leadership.  Everyone that spoke of Mr. Herndon had a tone of reverence and humility and it was obvious that he meant a great deal to his family and the lives of others.  It was obvious to see why this man has a scholarship named after him and why he remains a symbol as well as an example to others.  Mr. Herndon touched many lives for many years, and continues to do so even today through others that honor his memory.

A mess of crappie caught by one boat during the day.
As far as the fishing, most returning boats claimed that the fishing had been tough and that there was only about an hour of real action.  Boats were allowed 2-3 man teams and a total of 7 crappie were weighed per boat.  There were some really nice crappie brought in with many going over a pound.  The winning team had a combined weight of 6.67 pounds which was more than a pound better than the runner up.

Brian Miller with a crappie that went over a pound.
He wanted it noted that his brother did not catch a fish that was larger on this particular day.
The tournament raised money for high school seniors, gave out trophies, sold a case of Stag beer for over $30 during an auction, and provided an outstanding buffet of fresh fish and homemade dishes.  However, this was only a portion of the event and there was a camaraderie among anglers and family members that made things feel more like a reunion of sorts.  I think in a lot of ways, this aspect of the day was almost as important as anything else.  For a tradition like this to really take hold and continue for years to come, people need to enjoy the entire experience and not just the fishing.  It appears that the family and participants have a tradition on their hands that will last for years to come.

My buddy Jeff with a basket full of nice, Truman Lake crappie.
Next year, my dad and I plan on fishing in the tournament and I hope you consider doing the same.  It is a good cause that benefits the ongoing education efforts of young people and honors an amazing man that gave freely of himself to others.  I will be sure to post about the tournament as soon as I can in 2017, but if you would like to learn more about Norman Herndon, the fishing tournament, or the scholarship that bares his name, please go to http://njhfund.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment