Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Quest For A Rumored 8 Pound Bass


A few days ago, an opening appeared in my busy schedule like clouds parting after days of rainfall.  My wife all but pushed me out the door and before I knew it, I was headed to a farm pond to do some fishing.

I have written about this particular farm pond before.  This is the pond that is rumored to have an 8 pound bass lurking in its depths and I even talked to a guy that claimed to have caught her.  I have fished the pond out of a float tube and out of a 2 man boat with another guy (Jordan, if you are a frequent reader of this site).  I have yet to see anything or catch anything over 5 pounds, but the idea that something MUCH larger is in the water is enough to make this pond my "go-to" location when I get to fish.  To be honest, I am starting to get a little obsessive over catching this beast.


On my trip last Sunday, I caught a couple of 2 pounders on poppers around sundown but that was it.  I knew my chances of catching "the big one" were not very good since it is the middle of the dog days of summer, but since it is still a farm pond, I figured there are still a limited number of places for this thing to hide.


I figure that my best chance to catch her is this fall when the weather begins to cool and the fish become more active so I will concentrate my efforts then.  However, this story is far from over and I will keep you posted if there is anything to report.  I REALLY want to catch this fish on a fly rod, but since I have never caught a bass larger than 6 pounds, I will resort to spinning tackle if necessary.  Finally, I have decided to name this particular fish Wendy.  Now we have a reference point and I selected the name because Wendy was my first girlfriend I ever had and I obsessed over her at the time like I am obsessing over this fish now.

No comments:

Post a Comment