Friday, October 21, 2016

Fly Fishing Club Donations

For those of you that don't know, I sponsor a fly fishing club for middle school students.  I started the club about 4 years ago and have had the wonderful opportunity to share some amazing memories with some very special young people.  I do it because I love to see kids get excited about fishing and especially about fly fishing.  We learn to cast, how to tie flies, and go on about 6 small fishing trips per year.  The club started out as a group of 3 kids and has become a group of 15 anglers.  I have received some incredible donations from some extremely thoughtful people and this club wouldn't exist without those donations.  The club has lots of fly tying materials and fly tying work stations, as well as fly rods and reels.  I consider myself to be extremely fortunate and VERY blessed to share something that I love with young people that have a wealth of enthusiasm and excitement that restores my love for our fine sport.

However, I have a couple of problems.  Now I HATE to ask for handouts or donations, but if it means that I can keep kids fishing, then I will swallow my pride and make a request to keep kids fishing.



Problem #1- 5/6 Reels Needed
I had 18 Martin combos donated to me about 3 years ago by a generous benefactor.  You have probably seen the rods before as they are started rods and reels that are good for beginners.  Unfortunately, after 3 years of use and abuse by a bunch of newbie fishermen, they are starting to break down.  The buttons that engage the drag systems are starting to break.  The company does not send out replacement parts and the reels are past their warranty.  I am in desperate need of some 5/6 reels to replace reels that have broken down and to replace other reels that I have identified as being on their last legs.  Now I'm not asking for a set of new Redington Behemoths by any means, but if you have a reel that you don't use and is still serviceable, I would gladly take it off your hands and put it to work.  Please email me at showmeflyguy@gmail.com and we can work out a way for me to pick it up or to have you mail it to me.  I promise that all donations will be used by the members of the club and I swear that this is not a scam or hoax.  I'm not looking to amass some fly reel collection or looking to benefit by deceiving you!  Also, if you are wanting to donate, and need proof of the club's existence, I  can do that but would rather not post that on my blog since kids are involved.

Problem #2- 8 Weight Fly Lines Needed
I have had the fortune to be the benefactor of 6 Eagle Claw fiberglass rods that are 8 weights and have corresponding reels.  These are great rods for throwing big streamers at big fish and I plan to take some students out this spring to fish for wipers that move into the shallows to feed on shad.  Two of these rods have backing and line on them while the other four are missing both. Now I think I can get my hands on some backing, but the cost of the fly line for all the reels is pretty big.  Again, I don't need some high end Rio line or anything like that, just some serviceable line that I can put on a rod that doesn't bind up or get kinks in the water.  Used line is a heck of a lot better than no line at all!

In terms of priorities, we need the reels more than the line.  I am planning a trip this winter to fish for trout that are stocked in area lakes around Kansas City, Missouri, and I know some reels will need to be replaced before then.  The line really only has one application this spring so it would rank lower in terms of priority.

Regardless of whether you donate or not, thank you for taking the time to visit this site.  Seeing all the views and hearing positive feedback means a lot to me and makes me happier than I can put into words.  So from the bottom of my heart, thanks for visiting and I hope to hear from you or even better, see you on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment