Friday, February 3, 2017

Cool New Fly Tying Technique?

Now I am usually the last person to find out about certain things, so admittedly, I might be a little late to the party here.  With that being said, I have either stumbled on a new and innovative tying technique or something that has been around since the dawn of time.

If you watch between :30 and 1:30 of the video below, you will see what I am talking about.  The tyer, Matt Ebbers I assume since his name is on the account, seems to be marrying or blending some shorter fiber chenille, schlappen, and some longer fiber chenille. What is produced is extremely interesting looking and might be a go-to technique for me for a while.  It seems so simple but really effective and THAT is how I like my fly tying to be!  I hope you find it as interesting as me and find a way to use it at your vise.  Also, this fly turns out pretty cool too!




Below is my humble attempt at tying the Broke Neck.



So I wanted to give this technique a shot with some different materials that i commonly use in my own flies.  I made a video of my own and put my own "spin" on this technique.  In my video, I am combining a medium pearl olive chenille, black schlappen, and UV chenille from Hareline.  The UV chenille has some sparse but long fibers and I wouldn't use it alone so it is perfectly suited for this application.  I am also tying it on a size 6 hook with a zonker strip pulled over it.  The results are pretty interesting.


Finally, this page has been cataloged on the Fly Tying page for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment