Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Streamer Fly Knot

Fishing season, for me at least, runs from about mid March to late October.  Since I live in the northern part of Missouri, my season is a shorter than those that live in the south.  It is important to note that I am incredibly jealous of you southerners just for the record.  Anyway, about this time of year, I start setting some goals and focusing on some things I want to do different or try this year.  This year, one of those things is using a different knot to attach my streamers to my leader when using a fly rod.  I have ALWAYS used an improved clinch knot but this year, I am going to try switch things up and use a non slip loop when it seems applicable (and when I remember).  I'm going to do this for a couple of reasons.  Number one, it is out of my comfort zone and I tend to get stuck in a rut when it comes to fishing sometimes.  Number two, this is a widely used knot that most true "streamer" fisherman use.  That's the worst reason by the way.  Finally, it just gives the fly more action.  When it comes to throwing streamers, action (like the hokey pokey) is what it is all about.  Now don't get me wrong, I have my reservations.  I've never used this knot before so I automatically have some doubt in the knot being strong and I lack the confidence to use it religiously since it is something new.  However, I think it is safe to say that when I see the action that it gives a streamer and after I catch a few fish using this knot, I am going to wonder why it took me so long to employ this knot and I am going to wish I would have done this years ago.  So if you are interested in using this knot or just need a preseason refresher, feel free to watch the video and use some of the resources below.



Link: http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-fishing-knots/non-slip-mono-loop-video

Link: http://midcurrent.com/videos/tying-a-non-slip-mono-loop/

Link: http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/classic-video-tip-how-to-tie-a-non-slip-loop-knot/

No comments:

Post a Comment