Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The Gurgler

The Gurgler is a fly that I have used from time to time over the last ten years or so to catch largemouth.  I'm not sure what in the heck it is supposed to imitate, but I have caught bass on this fly when nothing else would work.  Ironically, I'm not sure why I don't fish it more, but apparently I should.  Traditionally, this fly has a tail that is made of bucktail, but I prefer to use marabou instead.  Also, the instructions call for a hook with a shorter shank and wider gap but I started tying this fly on what I had laying around and I use the same hook to this day.  Finally, closed cell foam is called for, but I just use a big sheet of foam that I bought at Michael's.  It works just fine.  I originally found this fly on the following site if you want to compare and contrast:

Hook: lots of options here but you can go with a wide gaped hook or a longer shanked hook for a bigger body/profile.
Thread: white 210
Tail: white marabou, olive marabou, and flashabou
Body & Cover: white foam
Rib: olive grizzly hackle but feel free to change the colors

Tie in and wind your way to the bend in the hook.

Tie in a small clump of marabou.

Tie in a clump of olive marabou or more white marabou if you would prefer. 

Tie in a clump of white marabout.

Tie in some flashabou on one side.

Tie in some flashabou on the other side.

Tie in some foam at the rear of the hook.  Leave enough foam to reach the front of the hook and enough to extend beyon the eye.

Tie in a piece of hackle.  I went with olive and black grizzly but you can switch things up, not that you need my permission.

I don't count how many wraps I make with the thread, but I try to make them equidistant.

Tie down the foam behind the eye.  Leave a little room to tie off the cover later.

Follow the wraps of thread with the hackle and tie it off.

Pull the foam forward and tie it off.

Trim the foam so that a lip extends beyond the eye.  This will push some water and act as an attractor.

The Gurgler

A closer view.

No comments:

Post a Comment