Tuesday, March 21, 2017

White River Trip- Part 1

First off, I LOVE brown trout.  I think they are the most beautiful freshwater fish in the world (that is not hyperbole, and sorry brook trout) and I would prefer to catch one small, pretty brown trout over ten stocker rainbows any day of the week.  Since catching my first brown on Lake Taneycomo, I have been fascinated by their feeding habits, differences in appearance, and somewhat elusive nature (at least here in Missouri).  While resarching brown trout, I stumbled upon the fact that the White River is somewhat of a Mecca for brown trout fishermen.  After seeing some jaw dropping pictures of browns that looked a little like a Spinosaurus, I knew that I had to fish this Jurassic river at some point.

     
See the resemblance?

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of time on my hands with two young sons.  I love them to death and wouldn't trade them for the world but I certainly don't have the free time that I used to.  Also, being a teacher with two young sons (my daycare bill could afford a lake house and I am not kidding) doesn't exactly afford a surplus in the fishing budget.  I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, but I can't exactly shell out a thousand bucks to go down to the White River for a few days.  You might be reading this thinking "a thousand bucks, is he serious?"  Yes, I am.  If you figure in food, gas, and lodging, you're looking at a pretty good chunk of change.  If you figure in a guide for a day, with the going rate of $400 for a full day, guided trip takes up a lot of the budget.  Now I haven't hired very many guides in my life but if I am going to go after trophy browns on one of the best brown trout rivers in the world, I don't have time to try and find the good spots, the right techniques, and water generation schedules.  If this place was in my backyard, that's a different story but Lakeview, Arkansas, is about 5 and 1/2 hours from my front door.  If you put the two together, you have an expensive and rare opportunity that I want to take seriously because it might be a once in a lifetime type of trip.  Could I have done this trip on my own?  Heck no!  However, I know a guy that is as generous as the day is long and has made more sacrifices for me than I can count.  This guy has done everything in his power since the day I was born to make me happy and to provide opportunities for me that are life-changing.  I'm talking about my dad.

While sitting around the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve of 2015, I opened a and enveloped from my folks.  Inside was a hand-written note that served as a gift certificate of sorts.  It stated that it was to serve as a coupon for an all-expenses paid trip to the White River and was to include the cost of gas, lodging, food, and a guide.  Now I have to admit here, this was a bittersweet present at the time and dad, if you are reading this, stay with me here.  At the time of this particular Christmas, my wife and I had a son that was 5 and a son that was almost a year old.  Part of me thought that this was exactly what I needed with a busy life and budget that gets stretched each month.  Another part of me was a little on the sad side.  I thought that there was a VERY strong chance that this present would never been redeemed because of time constraints and the responsibilities that come with having a career and a young family.  A part of me was even a little sad or bitter because I felt like it was a logistical impossibility.




Well, I don't know about you, but life sometimes has a way of grooving you a pitch right down the middle of the plate when you need it most.  Fast forward to January of 2017 (that's right, over a year since the present was given) and my dad and I had a chance to talk about the aforementioned trip.  We first kicked around the idea, strongly considered the idea, and then finally put the wheels in motion for this trip to happen during my spring break between March 13-17.  Child care was planned for, the wife was on board, and all systems were go...with one exception.  We had to find a place to say and a guide to hire.  The lodging seemed like a no brainer.  Gaston's Resort has an outstanding reputation and my dad was partial towards it since he had read so much about it in The Kansas City Star over the years.  The real problem lied in the selection of a guide.  In case you have never tried to research guide services on the upper part of the White River, let's just say there are a lot to pick from.  I later found out that there are around 100 guys that guide on the upper part of the river and 100 more fellas on the lower part of the river.  That's a lot of data, references, and pictures to pour over.  What made things ever more confounding was whether we should hire a fly fishing guide or fish with spinning tackle?

After talking to some fly fishing guides, I decided to NOT go the fly fishing route.  I did this for a few reasons.  Number one, I don't have a lot of upper body strength.  The guides told me that we would be throwing heavy rods, with heavy line, and heavy flies.  I just didn’t know if I could physically do that all day.  I also know that I typically take a few fish to get warmed up, shake off rust, and get a feel for strikes.  The guides also told me that I should only expect 1-3 strikes in a day.  If you look at this from a logical point of view, then fly fishing (for me) could have ended up with striking out and getting skunked on an expensive trip of a lifetime.  I don't like getting skunked.  I sure as heck don't want to get skunked on a guided trip.  We decided to fish bait.

I had my reasons for this as well.  While my dad said that he was find "just being along for the ride" and didn't care if he fished much, I didn't want him to be miserable.  We have both fished Lake Taneycomo with bait and know how to bounce bait along the bottom and how to differentiate between the feel of gravel and strikes...most of the time.  Also, you just can't deny the effectiveness of live bait.  It catches more fish because it’s real and what the fish are used to eating.  Finally, I figured that this would be the best method to hook a BIG brown.



Even after making that decision, I was still stuck with a LONG list of guides.  Days and weeks were passing by and I needed to make a decision.  After having a friend from work suggest Donald Cranor of Cranor's Guide Service, I threw my hands up in the air and thought "What the heck?  This guy looks legit!"  I went to his website to find out how to contact him and was blown away by how detailed and professional it looked.  I figured that either this guy is some internet ninja with an apt for Photoshop or this is the real deal.  I hoped for the latter.  When I contacted him, he was as nice as you would expect a guy from the south to be and made me feel like I had made the right decision.  I was a little disappointed to find out that he was booked for the day that my dad and I wanted to fish, but he promised me that one of "his guys" would be able to take us out and take care of us.  I was a little disappointed because I wanted THE Cranor of Cranor's guide service and not some apprentice or part timer.  However, guides were getting booked up and I didn't want to start from square one again so I would "settle" on the "other guy".  Spoiler alert: the "other guy" ended up being an AMAZING guide!

Now when I say that I wanted to go after a "big brown" I had to rein in my expectations.  To expect a trophy from a fishery in one day of fishing is setting yourself up for disappointment.  Instead of hoping for a wall-hanger, I settled on hoping for a brown that would be my biggest so far, which isn't much of a stretch.  My biggest brown came from Lake Taneycomo and was about 18 inches long.  It was skinny and probably only pushed 1 and 1/2 pounds.  After all of the pictures and stories I have seen and heard, I didn't think this was an unreal expectation.

My biggest brown prior to the trip.
On top of the guided trip, I was also fortunate to find out that my former high school basketball coach had moved to southern Missouri and become an avid fly fisherman.  We were able to incorporate fishing with him into the trip which was an added bonus.  To make the situation even better, he said that he had a drift boat and knew a few parts of the White River where we would probably have some luck.  Did rekindling an old relationship with the promise of hopeful fly fishing just work it's way into the trip?  Again, I was cautiously optimistic because this was coupled with the fact that his daughter was supposed to be moving to Texas that week which could derail the entire plan.

So reservations were made, deposits were put down by my dad, and the days slowly crept by.  I felt like a little kid waiting for Santa since the day after Thanksgiving and it felt like the departure date would never arrive.  It also seemed possible that some obstacle would step in and squash the entire trip.  A sickness, a death in the family, and unseasonable snow storm; they all seemed to peek over the horizon and haunt my thoughts/hopes.

Thankfully, the day came that my dad and I were to leave for Arkansas and the proverbial Boogeyman stayed in the closet.  My bags were packed, dad showed up on time, and we were southbound and down with the wind blowing in our faces.  The entire feeling was surreal.  Three days of fishing, no responsibilities, and a new fishery loomed on the horizon.  I have said it before, and I will say it again; the best feeling you have on a fishing trip might very well come on the way to going fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment