Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Nyphing Strategies with Ben. He's a HUGE Fly Fisherman!

Let me preface what I am about to state with the fact that I REALLY like Ben.  Ben started the Huge Fly Fisherman YouTube Channel.  His videos are fast-paced, informative and funny.  He's extremely knowledgeable and I have no doubt that he is an outstanding fly fisherman.  However, in this video, I think he misses the mark.

I agree with many things that he says like when he states that you always want to watch for your split shot, fly, and indicator to hit the water.  If one is absent or their distances look out of place then you probably have a problem on your hands.  What I disagree with is his statement about wanting your indicator to be downstream ahead of the fly.  I understand that that creates a drag-free drift and maybe in fast water he is right.  I don't fish a lot of fast water for trout so by no means am I an expert on that matter.  I prefer deep, slow pools because at least at Missouri trout parks and on Lake Taneycomo, these pools hold a large population of fish.

What I try to do is get the fly downstream first!  Ahead of the leader.  Ahead of the fly line.  Ahead of everything.  I think if trout see those things before your fly, they are less likely to bite!  When I am nymphing, I try to cast across the stream with either a mid-air upstream mend or immediately mend upstream when the fly hits the water.  This creates a drag-free drift as well and spooks fish less.  That's what works for me and that's my two cents.  I made my own nymphing video if you're interested in a different approach.  Here's the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWP4-MDYzI&t=1s


Huge Fly Fisherman YouTube Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5H2TAWddhGYYcCR5dc3sQ

No comments:

Post a Comment