Wednesday, August 7, 2019

A New Flybrary Goes Up!

Earlier this summer I wrote about The Flybrary Project.  You can click here if you want to read the post.  If you don't want to, here the gist: A flybrary is sign/display that is posted somewhere and it allows you to share flies with other anglers and borrow flies from other anglers as well.  You can also follow the progress and locations of flybraries on Instagram using #flybraryproject or you can follow the account @flybraryproject.  Castaway Customs is given credit for this idea and you can go to their website to order a free starter kit.  You can click here to get a kit of your own and to learn a little bit more if you want.  I ordered my own kit and recently found the perfect place to display it!

I kicked around the idea of putting it in a public location but to be honest, I didn't want to get in trouble for defacing public property or vandalism.  Then one day, when I was scrolling through my Instagram feed, I ran across a post where a guy hung a Flybrary in a fly shop!  It was like a great big neon light flashing on and off in my brain saying "Here is your solution!"  So after a short conversation and a little thinking, the owner of Rainbow Fly Shop (Matt) in Independence, Missouri, and I put a flybrary up for display.  Feel free to stop by his store to swap some flies, donate some flies, or buy some new ones.  Here is a link to Rainbow Fly Shop if you need hours and/or directions: https://www.kcflyshop.com/.  I am also going to send the location of the flybrary to Castaway Customs to plot on an online map and tag them in an Instagram post as well.  






No comments:

Post a Comment