Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Restoring Color to Bleached Antlers

No, this is not a fly fishing post, and if that bugs you, I apologize! It’s just that I completed a little project recently and the results are pretty amazing.

So I found this dead buck on our family farm last winter. It was a decent eight point and I wanted to display it somewhere because for some reason antlers fascinate me. After spending all spring and winter letting nature clean it to the bone. While the hide was gone and the the skull was bleached, so were the antlers. They too lost their color. 

I wanted to bring their natural color back as well as make the skull look a little cleaner. After reading some posts on The Shed Antler Addiction Facebook Page (awesome page of you dig antlers) I had plan. I hit the skull with some white gloss spray paint. I taped off the antlers to keep the paint off them and it worked really well. I wish I would have used a matte finish but the gloss still looks cool. I then rubbed some walnut wood stain on the antlers and let it soak in. After a few minutes I wiped off the excess. The results blew me away. In the future though, I would like to try a stain that has more of a chocolate look. It was cheap, easy, and extremely rewarding. If you have some old antlers laying around, or a trophy that needs to be touched up, then you should give it a shot. The results are amazing.

Bleached, untouched skull and antlers on the left.  Restored skull and antlers on the right.





No comments:

Post a Comment