Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Fishing the Snake River with Grand Fishing Adventures- Part 2


As a reminder, we were fishing with Grand Fishing Adventures and I want to thank them for all of their hard work and accommodations!  Link to Grand Fishing Adventures: https://grandfishing.com/

Wendy and I hopped in the boat with Mitch.  Mark and Sharon saddled up with Will and we were off.  Mitch paddled a little way downstream and gave us a short presentation.  The first half of the tutorial was about safety.  He told us what to do if we fell out of the boat, how to get back in, and how to handle different dangerous situations if they arose.  The second half was showing us how we were going to fish for the rest of the day.  He showed us casting angles in different water and mending techniques that worked with the flies we would be using.  He also explained how the person in the front of the boat and the person in the back could work around one another in order to keep the tangles to a minimum and the catching opportunities at a maximum.  After a little practice, we headed down the river to our first spot. 

\
On the way, he explained what type of water we were looking for and how the fish in this river behave.  I’m going to paraphrase what happened next but let’s just start off calling it suckfest and this was not fault to Mitch.  I don’t know what happened to Wendy and I, but we sucked at catching fish.  It was like we forgot how to catch fish.  We missed a bunch of fish and the ones we did hook didn’t get to the net.  When I say that we missed 15 fish between us in the matter of a half hour, that is not far fetched.  My first instinct was to blame the barbless hooks.  My next step was to blame the bites on small fish.  That was Mitch’s idea and I couldn’t tell if he was being polite or if he was serious. 

After all of our swings and misses, the boat got real quiet.  Wendy and I weren’t teasing each other like we usually do.  I think it was a combination of hyper-focus and frustration. I knew I was doing something wrong but couldn’t figure out what it was.  That’s when I decided to get mean!  I decided that it was no more Mr. Nice Guy with these turds.  No more soft hook-sets and gentle fighting.  I was going to start ripping lips and horsing some fish on the 3X line we were using.  And I am proud to say it worked.  I boated a 10 inch Snake River Cutthroat and gave a few fist pumps.  He hit the yellow stone fly like a lot of the others but this time I gave him a proper thumping.  I felt like I had cracked the code on this deal and the next fish came just a few minutes later.  This one was 13 inches and Mitch informed me that it was an above average fish.  I was pumped and feeling like I was in the zone.  My excitement was hard to miss…and then I remembered that Wendy was still sitting on a goose egg.  I tried to pass on my new-found advice and tried to convince her to get nasty.  She missed a couple more but then finally stuck a nice 10-11 inch fish.  A wave of relief washed over her and a sense of calm fell over the boat.  I was even able to get a laugh out of everyone when I passed on a quote from Dane (guided us at the North Platte).  He said, “You pay for the first fish.  The rest are free.”


From there, our landing percentage steadily rose.  We still missed a few but were inching closer to a 50% success rate.  We were also getting into some bigger fish.  Wendy and I each missed fish that Mitch said were bigger fish for the river.  I was starting to be able to discern between the small fish and bigger takes.  When I saw a bigger head come out of the water and take my fly down, I knew it was time to get serious.  I saw the fish twist in the water, and that confirmed my suspicion that this was a good fish.  My pulse quickened even more when Mitch said “Oh my”  My first instinct was to tell him to shut up because I was already freaking myself out but I managed to keep my composure and focus on the fight.  I slowly let out my slack fly line when he wanted to run and finally got to the point that I was able to use the reel for the fight.  It took some drag and I was terrified that I was going to break him off.  I was freaking out about the barbless hooks too.  I maintained a lot of pressure on the fish while Mitch rowed to the bank to land the fish with the net.  With a little coaxing, the tired fish made it to the boat and Mitch did an outstanding job netting the beast.  The tail of the tape was 16 inches and a significantly above average fish.  Fist pumps, fist bumps, and photos ensued while all the frustration of earlier in the morning was exchanged with an adrenaline rush that left my hands shaking.  I am also proud to report that the big fella swam away just like all of the other fish we caught that day too.


After that adventure, I ended up landing another 6 inch fish and two more that 12 inches each.  Wendy landed about 5 more fish with a 14 incher being the biggest.  If you look at the smile on her face, it tells the whole story.


The next memorable part of the trip was lunch.  I know that probably sounds strange, but I’ve never been on a guided trip that involved the guides setting up chairs on the bank along with a table and a blue checkered table cloth to top things off.  That was the fanciest that I have ever felt on a fishing trip.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment