Monday, September 21, 2020

Gear for Beginners

Getting started in fly fishing is both intimidating and daunting. What weight rod should you buy?  Do you need floating or sinking line?  Do you need waders?  Should you buy the Ford F-350 and the Hyde Drift Boat new or used?  All joking aside, it is a lot to take in an analyze.

Let me preface what I am about to write by saying that I am a huge Field & Stream fan.  I have read their articles in the magazine and online for years and will continue to do so.  However, when I recently read an article on the Field & Stream website titled "The Best Fly Fishing Gear for Beginners" I was a little disappointed.  While the article was not titled "The Cheapest Fly Fishing Gear for Beginners" I would have like to have seen the price of the equipment taken into consideration a little more.  I don't know a single person that could, would, or should drop three hundred dollars on a rod and reel combo.  For that matter, you can throw $170 wading boots into the same sentence.  Everyone that I have introduced to fly fishing has started off at least a little on the cheaper end of all of their equipment and then slowly upgraded their equipment over time.  Some of those folks had A LOT of money and some of those people didn't.  Regardless, they all came from the mindset of "Let me see if I like this before I drop a lot of money into it."

I don't think this article did the middle class, everyday person any favors.  I also think that in some ways the article fueled the stereotype of fly fishers being wealthy or at least the idea that it costs a lot of money to get into fly fishing.  That is simply not the case.  You can buy a used rod from some fly shops or get a rod and reel combo with backing and fly line included for under $200 and sometimes around $150.  In fact, a combo and a few flies all you really NEED to get started.  I would also encourage everyone to buy from local shops as well.  I would venture to say that they would greatly appreciate your money during this time.  

The article was right in terms of the title though.  Matthew Every did a great job with the descriptions and the article overall.  In fact, a lot of gear is pretty close to being "The Best" in my opinion.


Link: https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/fishing/best-flyfishing-gear-for-beginnersd/

2 comments:

  1. High 5's to your comments. Bass Pro, Sportsman Warehouse and many others offer starter combos for $100-$200 that are very serviceable. These will serve as backup rods for years if you get into full throttle.
    I have several $200 rods that are very close to the $800-$1100 top rods. If ytou are fishing for trout or small bass or BG, then a 4 wt to a 6 wt rod in the $250-$400 range is all you will ever need. Same with reels. Unless you need more than 100 yds of backing or a silky drag, buy the mid-price reel you like. Until you head out for fish that can spool you, you don't need to buy more than mid-point. Once the bug for steelhead, salmon, stripers or saltwater bites you, you will know what is available, suitable, and affordable for your pocket book. Just make sure your starter combo is balanced

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great call on everything and thanks for the kind words. I think you hit the nail on the head! You should start a blog!

    ReplyDelete