Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Mason Has Become a Decent Little Fly Fisher


Mason, Cody, and I got to hit the water together last Friday night.  Truth be told, Mason had a rough day at school on Friday and he needed something to lift his spirits a little bit.  As nature will so often do, it provides a lift to those that could benefit from some positivity.  I've seen guys going through some bad stuff bag big bucks, catch big fish, or catch fish nonstop on a particular day.  

Mason was hesitant to take a rod to the water at all, but I convinced him to bring a fly rod along just in case he wanted to fish.  Before we headed to the water, he decided to grab his gear.  As we got to the bank, I asked him if he needed any help.  He said he was good.  I told him that I was going to take his brother with me and we were going to give him some space.  I also told him that if he got a knot, it would be wise to immediately stop fishing and take out the knot.  Then we walked away.

What happened next shocked me.  Not only was he able to cast on his own, but he started catching fish like crazy.  His cast looked smooth and he was probably throwing 20-30 feet.  He recognized bites, had good hook sets, and played the fish perfectly.  I'll be honest, I didn't know the kid had it in him.  He was happy and I was proud.  We both needed this and nature (or divine intervention) provided a need pick me up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment