Monday, October 11, 2021

Pack It Out Campaign

 

Over the weekend I was able to do a little bit of fishing between Collin's (Wendy's son) basketball games.  His games were held near Longview Lake and I was able to fish a little bit near the marina between games.  I caught a few bluegill and saw some interesting wildlife but what struck me most was the amount of trash that was in and near the water.  Fortunately, I had my stripping bucked with me and decided to help clean things up a little bit.  It didn't take long and it wasn't much trouble...which leads me to my next point.  I didn't really want to do it.

I think most people can relate to how I felt.  I didn't want to clean up the mess because I didn't make it.  I don't leave trash where I fish and why should I have to clean up someone else's mess?  Shouldn't they be responsible and respectful enough to not leave a mess behind?  Of course, the answer is yes but that mentality wasn't helping solve the problem.  I had to adopt a new mentality.  After thinking for awhile, I came to the realization that I needed to simplify the situation.  

I stopped concerning myself with the people that left the trash and instead just looked at it as simply the right thing to do.  I also felt like I was helping out the environment that I love and appreciate.  My buddy Ryan Walker of Ozark Smallmouth Alliance feels similar enough that he started a campaign on social media.  If you or others decide to help clean up the environment while you are spending time on the water, tag @ozarkssmallmouthalliance in your post and use the hashtag #packitoutosa.  This will help spread the word about doing some good in the world and will hopefully make the places that we love a little prettier as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment