Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Mousin'

I think it was about a year ago that I fished my first mouse fly in a farm pond.  I was shocked to actually get 3-4 bites and was dumbfounded when I actually landed a bass while using a fly that imitated a freaking mouse!  It was one of those rare occurrences when a plan that you hatched actually worked and Mother Nature gave you a little glimpse inside a window that you had never been able to look in before.  I thought it was a cool novelty at the time and told all my buddies about it but knew I could get more bites by using other flies.  I learned a few more mouse patterns and now have a fly box dedicated to our furry little friends.  However, when I had 8 BIG blowups on a mouse fly a couple of weeks ago, that reinvigorated my interest in mousing.  Couple that with the the fact that this year I have learned that catching fewer fish is fine if those fish you do catch are big and memorable.  After running across these videos, I am really itching to get back to a farm pond or down to Taneycomo.  The first video is a clip from Hook Shots about fishing for trout out east in the Delaware River.  This might get your blood pumping and get you interested in doing some mousing if you have never done so.


This is the follow-up video that goes into some details about one of the mouse flies that was used in the episode.  I tied some of these up last night and I'm really pumped to get it on the water and hopefully in the mouth of something large.  Whether you are a veteran mouser or a rookie, this video offers a pattern that you have probably never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment