Monday, June 27, 2016

A Big Rainbow For Boston

I recently got back from a small vacation down to Branson, Missouri, with my family.  We had a lot of fun in the "Hollywood of the Midwest" and a fishing report will be coming out soon.  However, a HUGE highlight of the trip came on the last day just as we were about to leave town.  We stayed at the Fall Creek Inn & Suites and I wanted to buy a hat from the marina before heading home.  With the truck loaded up with luggage and the family, I parked near the marina and was headed down the ramp to buy my hat when I noticed a young man walking toward me.  I saw that he had something in his arms and it was so big, it took a minute to register.  When my brain finally verified what my eyes were seeing, I was in shock.  This young man was carrying an enormous trout and it just might be the biggest trout that I have ever seen out of the water that wasn't mounted to a wall already.


I quickly congratulated the young man and marveled at his catch.  I also had the privilege of meeting his grandfather and dad who were extremely happy for him and proud of him.  When I introduced myself to the angler himself, he politely told me that his name was Boston.  I looked at his hat and asked him if he was pulling my leg.  I thought he was messing with me.  He was not and was simply a cool kid, with a cool name, and a matching hat.


Graciously, Boston and his dad allowed me to snap some pictures and post them to this site.  They also shared some information about the fish and the story that went along with landing the behemoth.  Boston caught his fish on the morning of June 25 while fishing off the side of their boat on Lake Taneycomo.  Boston was fishing with livers (chicken I assume) on an ultralight rod.  No generators were running so there was minimal current.  As the story goes, Boston's grandfather had the drag set low on the reel which allowed Boston to wear the fish out without trying to horse it in.  When it was all said and done, the fish measured at 21 and 1/2 inches, 5 pounds and 8 ounces with a 14 inch center girth, and a 7 inch tail width.  It was also my understanding that the family plans on eating the fish and getting a replica mount made for 9 year old Boston.


The smile on Boston's face says it all.  This is what fishing is supposed to be about; having fun with friends and family, creating memories, and having stories to tell for years.  Boston has a trophy, a story, and able to feed his family...a few meals.  Congratulations to Boston and his family!  If you have any pictures and stories to share, I am always looking for stories from readers to post especially ones that involve families and kids.  Don't be shy.  It's not bragging, just sharing stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment