Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Fishing and Camping at Watkins Mill with My Boys. An Evening of Hybrid Striped Bass!

Last Thursday, my two sons and I headed to Watkins Mill State Park for a little fishing and camping.  When we arrived at the boat ramp, I noticed some activity on the surface of the lake near the opposite bank.  It wasn't as ferocious as what I have seen in the past so I was on the fence about whether it was just shad flipping on the surface or whether something below the surface was pursing them.  Mason, the 11 year old, piloted his boat toward the action while Cody, the 6 year old, and I followed.  Mason threw a spinnerbait and I threw an olive wooly bugger near the action without a single bite.  The activity was sporadic and we felt like we were chasing ghosts have the time.  I got one small bump but that was about it.  Then an idea came to me.

A couple of years ago, I encountered a similar situation with Wendy's son Collin.  At that time, I was throwing a John Deere under an indicator.  I wasn't getting any bites on this but when we moved from one spot to another, my fly got smashed as it trailed behind the boat.  That got me thinking that trolling might be a better option.  This was a method that had worked for me in the past plus it would allow us to cover more water rather than trying to be in the right place at the right time.  It also dawned on me that shad (which I was assuming were being eaten by the hybrid striped bass) are white as opposed to olive.  I put on a white conehead wooly bugger.  This fly has some weight to it so I knew it would get down just below the surface while being trolled.  What happened next was nothing short of miraculous!

We all caught fish! Mason hooked a couple.  Cody reeled in 4.  I probably landed 5-6 after Cody got tired and Mason's trolling motor started to die.  They weren't huge but they sure were fun and when you take kids fishing, it sure helps when the fish actually bite.  I did end up catching one fish that was larger than the others and fought really hard but it wasn't close to a monster by any means.  These fish were hard fighters on a six weight as well!  It was also interesting to troll a fly behind a boat.  I don't do this very often but when it the situation allows for it, this method is a fun break from the norm of streamers and nymphing.  When the fish hit, you noticed and it was NOT subtle!  We did miss a few and setting the hook as still a necessity but it didn't take much to get them on the line.

To see the fly we used on this evening and/or purchase a few, just click on the following link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1005881996/all-white-cone-head-wooly-bugger















No comments:

Post a Comment