Thursday, July 22, 2021

Variations on My Favorite Streamer

As most of you know that follow this blog, my favorite streamer that I throw is called The Brave.  It is a streamer that has worked really well for me in the past and has helped me land catfish, largemouth, white bass, and hybrid striped bass.  It is made of natural materials that are easy to work with and is a pretty easy tie.  Here's a run down of how to tie it if you are interested.

1. Size 1 (or whatever size you want) Gamakatsu B10S hook.

2. Large conehead

3. 10-12 wraps of 0.03 lead wire behind the conehead.  This will keep material from being pushed back on the hook by the conehead.

3. Tie in marabou on the bottom of the hook near the rear.

4. Tie in a rabbit strip to hang off the back of the hook.  Length is up to you but leave enough to be pulled over the top of the hook and tie in behind the conehead.

5. In front of the rabbit strip, tie in a lighter colored rabbit strip and palmer to the front of the hook.  Tie off behind the head.

6. Pull the first rabbit strip over the second one and tie off behind the head.

7. You have two options at this point.

    A. Tie in hackle/schlappen, wrap forward, and tie off.  Tie in second hackle/schlappen, wrap 

    forward, tie off, and whip finish.

    B. Tie in hackle/schlappen and then tie in second hackle/schlappen.  Wrap both forward 

    simultaneously, tie off, and whip finish.

I've been playing around with some different colors lately, one in a bluegill color pattern and the other that is more shad-like.  Here's some pictures for more detail.

If you're interested in tying this fly, I hope you like it and I hope it works well for you!  If you're not a tyer, then I saw a quote that might apply in this situation- "If you can't tie 'em, buy 'em."  I have a few patterns up on the Etsy store to see if folks are interested in these patterns.  If they sell out, I will definitely be tying more!  If they don't, then I'm just going to keep them for my own personal use...which is just fine too!

Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheShowMeFlyGuy

Bluegill variation of The Brave: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1055258481/the-brave-bluegill-patter-streamer-bass

Shad variation of The Brave: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1055255999/the-brave-shad-pattern-streamer-bass-fly

To original version of The Brave: https://www.etsy.com/listing/607031796/the-brave-streamer-bass-fly-zonker-fly

No comments:

Post a Comment