Thursday, January 26, 2017

Missouri Angler Profile- Luke


Name (first only):
Luke 

Height:
6’2”

Weight:
245 lbs.

Age:
35

Years of Fishing Experience:
I’ve been fishing for 31 years

Hometown:
Grew up in Smithville, MO

Currently Residing In:
Live in Liberty, MO

Earliest Fishing Memory:
One day I wanted to go fishing really bad but it was midday and middle of the summer. My dad kept telling me it was too hot and the fish weren't gonna bite. I convinced him into letting me fish while he mowed around the pond. I threw this little crawdad rapala up next to this downed tree and a bass crushed it. I had it on forever but could tell it was a lot bigger than the ones I was used to catching. I couldn't lift the rod tip. So I started walking backwards up the bank to beach it so I could get to it. My dad saw me struggling and stopped the mower to help, he lipped it on the bank it ended up being my biggest bass for several years to come 6.5 pounder. I let him hear it for a long time about it being too hot to fish and they wouldn't bite. I was five years old at the time.

Favorite Fishing Story:
A few years ago I was asked to write an article for A Tight Loop, it needed to have some good pictures. I said yes and of coarse didn't have any on hand so I needed to catch some fish and get some good shots. It didn't help it was about the wild spring creek trout here in Missouri. If anyone is familiar with them at times they can be really tough. A buddy and I planned a trip and of coarse hit high water, we were struggling with the normal nymphs only picking up little fish here and there. We hadn't ever had much luck on streamers at this particular creek and I said "Forget it, I'm gonna throw a sculpin." First drift/strip through a run I caught a 17" fish, I was yelling for my buddy to come get a picture. I told him to put on a streamer and we caught more big fish than some catch down there in a lifetime in one evening, including a 21"er. Needless to say I got the article done and had some great fish to prove we have some good wild trout here in Missouri.

Favorite Fishing Partner:
My kids and my dad

One person you would like to fish with (dead or alive):
I'd like to fish with Tom Brokaw.  He's an avid fisherman and has been all over the world.

Who/What got you started fishing?
My dad got me started

What is your favorite fishing spot in Missouri?
I don't really have a favorite, I guess where ever I'm fishing that day.

What is your favorite lure/fly/technique?
I'm a fly fisherman, I like throwing big streamers.

What is your favorite species to fish for?
Favorite species: Bass, really all bass but smallmouth and hybrids are my favorite.



What percent of the time do you catch and release?
99.5% of the time, really only time I keep fish is if we're trying to manage a pond.

What is the weirdest thing that you have seen on the water?
I don't know the weirdest, but you see a lot of unusual stuff at the boat ramp just about every time out.

What is one place that you want to fish in Missouri, but haven’t before?
I've fished a lot of them but I want to get up a fish Hazel Creek. I see a lot of musky pics from up there and I've been chasing them on a fly rod for a couple years.



No comments:

Post a Comment