Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Paddling With The Father In Law- Part 1

Paddling With The Father In Law was written by Busch, a frequent contributor to the site. You can find his past writings on the "Ol' Buschy Tails" page if you are interested in reading more of his posts. Busch is one of my closest friends, a great story teller, and twists interesting information with his unique sense of humor. I hope you like his posts as much as I do.
-Tyler (aka the OFG or Origninal Fly Guy)


Paddling With The Father In Law- Part 1

Since I’ve lived in the St. Louis area most of my life, I’ve always been fascinated by the Lewis and Clark expedition. We even have this little thing called the Gateway Arch commemorating the trip. It’s kind of a big deal, I’m told. Well, the Arch is just one part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial which included a museum, some movies, and a few other things. (I say “included” because they are in the process of renovating and I assume that is all changed. Probably virtual reality and Pokemons. By the way, I think there’s some teenagers on my lawn, I’ll be right back). I always enjoyed the museum much more than the view from the top of the Arch. I mean it's alright and everything. Like you go up this elevator that is super cramped and kind of looks like a futuristic bathroom. You get to the top, look out tiny windows, sometimes it sways. That’s about it. Then you get back in the Futurama bathroom elevator and slowly head back down. If you do go, I recommend a group of 5. If you do not have a group of 5, you will be required to ride up the Arch with strangers. I am sure those strangers will be nice enough, but they will stink and it will not be comfortable for anyone. However, if there is not a stink. Then you and your group stink and no one wants to face that truth in public. You can thank me later for this helpful tip. So if you’re in town, with at least 4 other friends and/or family, I suggest you check it out.


Even as a kid, I was fascinated by the museum as it covered the expedition as well as daily lives of the Native Americans and early settlers of the Louisiana Purchase. I’ve always liked history from the perspective a regular guy. We all know about the military leaders, politicians, and rich folk. I’ve come to terms that I’m not one of those people and I probably wouldn’t be one, no matter what time period I lived in. And, frankly, I probably wouldn’t like them anyway. Stupid rich folks, with their noses in the air and fancy shoes and cars that don’t break down.
Additionally, my grade school took two field trips to the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in 5th and 6th grade. I was selected to dress up like the mountain man both years. Feelings were hurt. Not mine, but I did hear some comments. I should have declined the second time, but I didn’t then and I wouldn’t now. You may call this selfish, I call this two year dominance and an undefeated record.


Since it should pretty obvious I’m attracted to life outdoors, it was natural to be attracted to that kind of museum. I don’t know if that sparked the obsession or if the obsession was there and stuff like that served to stoke the fire. Guess it’s a chicken and egg argument (even though I think the sciency types have even figured that one out now).


When my wife and I were still dating, I found out that she had actually worked at the Arch and my father in law was fascinated with the Lewis and Clark expedition as well. Due to my wife’s lofty position, he had the opportunity to read the explorers’ personal journals and actually did it. This is no easy task. For example, William Clark was not known for his skill with quill and parchment - he never spelled mosquito the same way twice resulting in something like 19 different spellings. Actually, not something like, here they are:
mesquestors, misquestors, misquitor, misquitoes, misquitors, misqutors, misqutr, missquetors, mosquiters, mosquitors, mosquitos, muskeetor, musqueters, musquetors, musquiters, musquitoes, musquitors, musqueters, and musqutors.
Makes one appreciate something as simple as a dictionary. It’s the little things in life. Also, my wife’s job was not all that lofty, I’m told.


So my father in law, Bertrand (names were changed to protect the innocent) was several legs up on me on this subject and was so inspired by the journey, he purchased a canoe to create his own explorations.  So the canoe was purchased back in 2005 or so. And if you will notice, the trip took place in 2016, so there was lots of talk, many moves, children, grandchildren, and every other reason it took a decade for this to happen.

Luckily it did, as I was granted some time to catch up on Meriwether Lewis and William Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment